STRAWBERRY APPLE LATTICE PIE
1 1/4 cups pastry flour
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup ice cold water with 1 tbsp. lemon juice
pinch of salt
1. Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes, and mix into the flour, breaking it apart with your fingers until flaky, and no big butter chunks remain. Place in the freezer another 3 minutes.
3. Add the cold water, and kneed the dough until a smooth but firm ball forms.
4. Flatten into a disk, and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge, and let sit for about one hour.
Apple and strawberry filling
3 large green apples, cut into cubes or slices.
about 2 quarts of strawberries, stemmed and cut into slices
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. butter
Mix all ingredients (except the butter) together in a bowl, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes until the juices all come out.
Strain the mixture and put the liquids in a small saucepan.
Simmer the juice until reduced by half, and set aside.
Directions for the pie
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Take out the pie dough, and divide the disk in half. Roll the first half and lay out on a regular pie plate.
3. Place all the fruit filling into the crust, and pour on some of the syrup.
4. Cut the butter in small chunks, and place on top of the fruits.
5. Roll out the other half of the dough, and cut in long strips. Weave them on top of the pie to create the lattice pattern.
6. Take an egg yolk and a tbsp. of milk and whisk together until smooth.
7. Using a pastry brush, brush on the egg mixture to cover the entire crust.
8. Bake the pie for 45 minutes, and then take it out. If the apples don’t seem cooked (they probably won’t) put on a sheet of aluminum foil and place in the oven again for 10-20 minutes. The pie should be golden and the juices should be boiling.
9. Let cool for at least 20 minutes, though one hour is best. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries…